Renaissance demolition coming

Demolition of existing properties could begin as early as this month to make way for Renaissance at Rahway.

Redevelopment Agency attorney Frank Regan said last week’s agency meeting that developers have to close on financing by Friday, and assuming they do, demolition is anticipated later this month.

The 88-unit complex will eliminate Montgomery Street between East Grand Avenue and Monroe Street, eliminating the triangle. The City Council on Monday night approved vacating Montgomery Street and details on a revised access scheme for the neighboring Riverton complex is being worked out, Regan said.

Properties include the former Triangle Inn (at left in photo above) and a house next door that was badly damaged in a fire at least a year ago. An adjacent property, 239 E. Grand Ave. has a poster hanging in the window against eminent domain (left). The only property that was not acquired for the project was 273-275 E. Grand Ave., which is the MJ Bait and Tackle at the end of the triangle block.

Originally proposed as a 72-unit condo complex, developers got approval last summer from the Redevelopment Agency to switch to rentals. The Planning Board gave its approval in the fall.